Monday, May 12, 2008

Gabi Clayton

Name: Gabielle N. Clayton, MA

Business Information
Address: PO Box 6396 Olympia, Wa 98507
Phone: 360.888.5291
Email: gabi@gabiclayton.com
Website: www.gabiclayton.com
Gabi's profile with Good Therapy

Payment
What insurance companies do you work with? I know I can take Crime Victims' Compensation. I may be able to take Primera and a few others, it all depends.
How much do you charge? Is it a sliding scale? My basic fee is $75 for 50 minutes and I slide down from there. I try not to go lower than $45.

Education and Credentials
What is your training? What qualifications do you hold? I have a Masters Degree in Couselling Psychology from St. Martins and a Bachelors from Evergreen.
How long have you been practicing? I graduated from St. Martins in 1993 and have been practicing ever since.
Are you a member of any professional organizations? Washington Mental Health Counselors Association, American Mental Health Counselors Association, and GoodTherapy.org.
What types of therapy do you prefer to use? I'm pretty eclectic. I basically do talk therapy. I encourage people to do journaling and I can offer homework assignments. I try to use myself as a tool to help people figure things out for themselves.

Queer issues
What is your understanding of transgender/transsexual and the issues revolving around it? I think it's a pretty broad term. It's when your body doesn't match your spirit and your personality. I hate using the term "wrong body" because I don't think the body is wrong. Just, the gender doesn't match the genitalia. My thing is supporting people where ever they are to figure that out and also dealing with a society that is pretty fucked up. Generally, I think it is very natural. Transphobia pisses me off.
What kind of experience have you had with transgender patients? I've written a letter for transgender surgery only once, but I have other clients who are dealing with gender issues. Outside of of my official counseling position, I've done support for many trans people.
What experience do you have with queer patients? I deal a lot with queer clients, but not only.
Are you willing to write letters for hormones and/or surgery? What criteria do you require? I am absolutely willing. I would have to research it again, but I am willing to do so. I don't have any specific criteria, but I would have to feel comfortable knowing that the person is ready for what they are asking me to write a letter for. I wouldn't have a problem saying 'no' or 'let's wait' but I pretty much trust people. I wouldn't do it after only one or two sessions, I need to feel like I have a solid relationship.
Do you identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, etc? My partner is bisexual and I have a history of working with the lgbt community, but I myself identify as straight. I don't consider that the 'norm,' but it's what I am.

General
What subjects do you specialize in or work with? Hate crime victims, suicide and depresssion (situational not physical/biochemical), life changes of all kinds, I work a lot with teens and parents, couples counseling. All ages, except for small children.
Are you willing to work with other mental health or medical professionals a patient has worked with? Absolutely. I have to have release forms completed, but I have those.
Are you willing to meet with family or partners? A client can invite people in as their guests during their session or we can do couples therapy, but I will not see partners as individuals.
Do you work with any organizations outside of the mental health field? PFLAG, Families United Against Hate, Safe Schools Coalition, Youth Guardian Services.


Have you gone to see Gabi Clayton? Please post about your experience in the comments section. Anonymous comments are always welcome.

No comments: