Thursday, May 15, 2008

Nancy Sigafoos

Name: Nancy Sigafoos, MA, LMHC, CHT

Business Information
Business: Sigafoos & Witcher Counseling Services
Address: 114 ½ North Capitol Way, Olympia, WA, 98501
Phone: 360 (943-5430) ext. 2
Email: nsigafoos@aol.com

Payment
What insurance companies do you work with? None
How much do you charge? Is it a sliding scale? $80.00 per 50 minute session. No sliding scale.

Education and Credentials
What is your training? What qualifications do you hold? I have a Masters in Counseling Psychology. I am a Licensed Mental Health Counselor (Nationally Certified). I am a Certified Hypnotherapist.
I have certifications in:
EMDR
Reality Therapy
Life Coaching

How long have you been practicing? Practice began in May of 1996.
Are you a member of any professional organizations? Association for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Issues (ALGBTIC) a division of the American Counseling Association
What types of therapy do you prefer to use? I use Rogerian techniques, client-based

Queer issues
What is your understanding of transgender/transsexual and the issues revolving around it? Transgender people experience incongruity. Their inner selves and biological bodies are not in sync. There is a broad spectrum of choices that these individuals have in addressing this paradox. I recognize all points on the spectrum as valid.
What kind of experience have you had with transgender patients? I have had transgender clients for the entirety of my practice. I have helped many people work on the emotional aspects of being transgender. I have made many recommendations for hormones and surgeries.
What experience do you have with queer patients? I have extensive experience with queer patients.
Are you able to prescribe hormones and medications? What criteria do you require? No, I do not have prescriptive authority.
Are you willing to write letters for hormones and/or surgery? What criteria do you require? Yes. I have a checklist of areas that I need to discuss with the client before considering recommendation for hormones or surgery. I require that the client come a minimum of 6 times before approval for hormones, and I need to see someone for a year before recommending surgery. Simply coming to the appointments and paying for them does not ensure that you will be recommended for hormones or surgery. I will tell you early on if I do not think that you fit the psychological criteria for recommendation.

I only work with clients who respect the professional responsibility that is presented to me in approving someone for hormone therapy or surgery.

I AM UNWILLING TO WORK WITH CLIENTS WHO DO NOT SEE THE VALUE IN PSYCHOTHERAPY AS AN IMPORTANT COMPONENT TO BEGINNING HORMONE THERAPY.

Do you identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, etc? (Optional) Yes. I am a lesbian.

General

What subjects do you specialize in or work with? I specialize in addiction and anxiety disorders.
Are you willing to work with other mental health or medical professionals a patient has worked with? Yes, if a release is signed.
Are you willing to meet with family or partners? Yes, if the client requests it.



Have you gone to see Nancy Sigafoos? Please post about your experience in the comments section. Anonymous comments are always welcome.

No comments: